Laptop storage boxes
This is prototype of a better laptop storage solution for laptops in The Edge Fabrication Lab. The development of this was informed by a variety of design and operational objectives.
We wanted a storage solution that:
- was aesthetically pleasing
- could be integrated with existing Fab Lab furniture (ikea KALLAX/EXPEDIT bookshelves)
- facilitated a self service approach to providing resources in the Fab Lab
- Allowed us to have laptops on charge while in their storage unit (we waste alot of time setting up PSU/Chargers for short workshops that shouldn't require a charge because the machines don't go back on charge when they are put away)
- Maximum tidiness (no cables hanging everywhere, hide as much as you can)
- sturdy construction
- This is not a unique problem and lots of people around the world have Ikea shelves.
- Is this a design that could be rejigged for a larger shelf (considering the possiblity of creating our own similar version of Kallax that is big enough to take a standard Milk Crate.
Learnings from the Prototyping Process Thus far
- there needs to be hand access holes to feed the cable and PSU into its space.
- There needs to be a construction order - ie hint number one build from the middle out
- There needs to be a mechanism/ tabs that hold the box in place as laptops are being slid in and out.
- These tabs need to be removable so you can get the box out for maintenance
- There needs to be a lot of head room for the PSU input plug to go into the laptop when on its shelf.
- I really need to learn a proper cad application that has parametric, exploded and assemble view capabilities ;)