What is Osmo?
Osmo is a unique educational gaming accessory that opens up your iPad to the infinite possibilities of physical play. Crafted with reflective artificial intelligence, Osmo's advanced technology bridges the real and digital realms. It makes hands-on learning games in which players use objects in the real world to interact with the digital world shown on their ipad. This creates an environment for children where the line between fun and learning is blurred.
Visit your local Isaac Library to enquire about the use of Osmo tech and what opportunities for discovery in this space may be coming up in your area.
How it works?
- Put your device in a compatible Osmo Base with the red reflector over the device's camera.
- Play with the physical game pieces - draw, code, spell and more.
- Osmo scans the table and the child's creations come alive on the screen.
What skills do Osmo games promote?
Osmo offers games for a wide range of of academic subjects, including:
- Coding - (Coding Awbie, Coding Jam)
- Math - (Numbers, Pizza co.)
- Drawing - (Monster, Masterpiece)
- Spelling - (Words)
- Fundamentals of Physics (Newton)
- Spatial Relational Skills (Tangram)
In addition to teaching traditional subject matter, Osmo games foster social-emotional skills like problem-solving, creativity and perseverance. Every Osmo game requires the player to use reasoning to arrive at the correct answer, or even to chart a new path entirely.
Back to IRC Wiki