Codeybot is a new, fun innovation in STEM education. It is a ‘wedge’ shaped robot from Makeblock, who have become renowned in recent years for well-designed STEM and robotics resources.
Like many of its contemporaries, Codeybot is a robot controllable and codeable via dedicated apps, offering the ability to learn through play via the Codeybot app and for people of any age to take their first steps into programming using the mBlockly for Codeybot app.
Codeybot has several features, however, which help it stand out from the robotic crowd:
- Finely balanced twin gyroscopes enable Codeybot to balance upright and move about on its two rear wheels, in the style of a Segway.
- Codeybot can dance! The fine balance achieved by the gyroscope technology also make it possible for Codeybot to hit the dancefloor with some funky moves, accompanied by inbuilt music tracks reproduced through high quality speakers.
- Codeybot has personality! Program fully customizable looks and personality through programmable facial expressions, selectable side-light colours and ‘silly voice’ synthesizer. You can also ‘drive’ Codeybot using your iPad as a steering wheel, via tablet ‘tilt’ functionality.
- Codeybot can go into battle with another Codeybot using ‘Battle Mode’, and the add-on ‘battle turret’ accessory. A great way to learn coordination and strategy.
Codeybot is currently compatible with iPad only and has two apps available from the app store. The Codeybot app supplies direct navigation functions, to drive Codeybot around exactly where you want him to go, as well as the 'silly voice' synthesizer, customizable features and battle mode.
The mBlockly for Codeybot app is the one to use to apply block-based coding. mBlockly is a colourful, graphical programming language similar to Scratch making basic coding accessible to all skill levels.
- The CodeyBot requires an iPad
State Library has kits of this item available for loan to libraries within the Regional Libraries Queensland and Indigenous Knowledge Centres network. Libraries can place a reservation through the Aurora catalogue (availability is subject to existing reservations, loans and associated return dates).
The kits are for use by patrons within the library only, as part of supervised library programming. They will not be listed in the public online catalogue for personal reservation.
Please contact Inclusive Communities, or phone 07 3842 9058 with any queries.
- 2 x CodeyBots
- 2 x Battle turrets
- No iPads are included in this kit