Redevelopment Feb 2018
In Feb 2018 the Hand tools induction was separated from the soldering induction and was redeveloped as a minimum standard OH&S induction in the Fabrication Lab. The Concept was that any person entering the Fabrication Lab ( who is not just visiting ) will complete this 10 min induction before checking in for the first time. Without this handtools induction you can't even pick up a screwdriver or craft knife. Other aims connected to this redevelopment were to enable us to
- safely and quickly engage newcomers to the fab lab whether as an individual or in a group/workshop context.
- to quickly give newcomers a sense of membership/ownership of the resources and to encourage return visitation - now that they are officiallyinducted.
- As per all Edge workshops participants leave with a takeaway.
- The email confirming newly inducted participants is an opportunity for promotion of Fab Lab and other resources.
This new induction process can be broken into 4 sections
- Applying for an Edge booking account.
- Induction Slideshow
- Induction Assessment
- Induction practical activity
1. Apply for an Edge booking account
participants fill out booking account form on pc or ipads
2. Handtools induction Slideshow
Participants click through a slideshow detailing
- their responsibilities in the space
- the types of hand tools the Edge has
- the safety tips associated with each of these types of tools
3. Induction assessment
Participants fill out (paper form) / click thru (gamified digital) assessment to demonstrate competency.
4. Induction practical exercise
Participants use a range of handtools in the The Edge fablab to assemble a badge. See workshop instruction